Dear Friends in Christ,
Our Archbishop has called for fasting and prayer over a week of time, interceding for God’s mercy in our nation. In case you did not get his message, a portion is reprinted below.
Lord, in your mercy…
Sisters and brothers, I am asking you to join me in spending the next week in prayer and fasting for North America (Wednesday, June 3 – Wednesday, June 10). For those who can fast the whole week, a day, or a meal, I ask you set aside time to intercede on behalf of your community, state, and nation.
Pray in the Holy Spirit and as the Holy Spirit leads you, and as you do, consider these petitions:
- Show me my own sin; reveal to me the darkness of my own heart (Ps.139:24)
- Reveal to me the repentance I need in my own life.
- The ending of the lawlessness and violence.
- Justice for those who have had their lives taken from them, especially George Floyd, and comfort for their families.
- Comfort for the family and friends of the thousands of people who have lost their lives because of Covid-19.
- Help for the millions who find themselves suddenly without a job.
- Provision for all those business owners who have lost their business because of rioting, for those who have insurance and those who do not.
- Strength for the health care workers, nurses, doctors, technicians in hospitals and medical facilities who continue to work fearlessly to save lives.
- Wisdom for our government and civil leaders as they seek to keep us safe both from the virus and from the violence in our cities.
- Food and provision for those who are hungry and in need.
- Fresh anointing for the Church of Jesus Christ to faithfully proclaim the Gospel and reach people who are hurting, suffering, alone, and in need.
- Specific acts of grace and mercy that You want me to carry out in this time.
If you would like some specific prayers to help you pray, consider these from the Book of Common Prayer 2019 on pages 657-661:
- #39 – For our Nation
- #40 – For All Sorts and Conditions of Men
- #41 – For Cities, Towns, and other Communities
- #42 – For the Human Family
- #43 – For Social Justice
- #44 – In Times of Social Conflict or Distress
- #45 – For Those Who Serve Others
- #46 – For Commerce and Industry
- #47 – For the Unemployed
- #48 – For Agriculture and Farming
- #49 – For Schools, Colleges, and Universities
- #50 – For the Medical Professions
- #51 – For Those Who Inform Public Opinion
Jesus said: Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you shall find; knock, and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives, and one who seeks finds, and to the one who knocks it will be opened. (Luke 11:9,10)Your brother in Jesus Christ,
The Most Rev. Dr. Foley Beach
Archbishop and Primate, Anglican Church in North America